Life is love!: Lukang Lantern Festival - Feb. 11, part deux

Life is love!

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lukang Lantern Festival - Feb. 11, part deux












#1. This festival was pretty cool.
They went to alot of work and time
and money to make it so beautiful.











#2. They had flower displays everywhere.











#3. This objects inside this lantern
moved, and each lantern on this
floor told a fable/story...not that I
could read them???











#4. This display was outside, you
throw five coins at the round gold
cylinders hanging below the gods.
If all 5 coins hit, it means money
and good fortune will come your
way. I was looking good...but I
missed the last one. Oh well 4
outta 5 ain't bad.











#5. More lanters hanging from the
ceiling and tons of displays and
people below.











#6. If you are born in 1980, like
Michelle is, then you are Year of The
Monkey. Michelle once dressed up as a
monkey for Halloween, coincidence,
I think not!!











#7. Lukang is well-known for the art
of calligraphy, and traditional
Chinese writings.











#8. My principal (Giant) in front of me,
I'm in the brown vest...(still loving it Jen)
and our roommate Mark on my right.
Standing on the streets in Lukang,
taking in all the noise, traditional music,
kareoke on an outdoor stage, vendors,
markets, and so much more.












#9. Another display of flowers, with a
weird mossy plant. Very odd..but cool.

The Chinese take the "Year of the ...(whatever it may be).." very seriously.
This year is The Year of The Dog, and Giant's son has a birthday this year, so it's a big deal to go to the temples and pray for him, and worship certain
gods. I don't remember how I knew, but I am Year of the Horse, and my sister is Year of The Dragon. Jody--If your a dragon, it's a really good thing here. Giant said, if your a dragon, then you are welcome to any celebration, because dragon's are such good luck that everyone wants them near you. So in essence you are the life of the party! The festival was great.

Other news:
Well- When I use to live at College Drive in Saskatoon, I lived with a guy named Ken Kotyk...and then he moved to Calgary to do some training. Well that training paid off big time---He is in the Olympics, on the 4 man bobsled team for Canada... Way to go Ken!! Good luck---you Canadians have to keep us posted, We've been channel surfing looking for Olympic coverage...but nothing.
So e-mail us or comment on out blog....and please sign your name. Some people are commenting with just a Hello, or Hi...but we have no idea who you are.

We added a box above the blog, where you can click on the ads to learn more about Taiwan...so feel free.

I must admit, that other than school, we've been a little bored lately. We need to find some hobbies...and learn Chinese. Michelle wants to save up for a guitar.
However, I have had a lot of time for reading. I am on my fourth book since I have been here. That's a record for me. I am usually the slowest reader ever, or I start and never finish. But I have to tell you all about this one book in particular. It's called "tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom...this is a book that everyone should read. SO DO IT! When you are done, share the book with people around you. Yikes- Michelle and I both cried. It's a book about things that people in this day and age need to be reminded of. Let us know what you think.

I've also heard the new Jack Johnson song, and LOVE it. The video is cute. You can go to his website and watch it for free.

Ok, take care all!!
Mom...still havn't received the package you sent but I'll let ya know when we do!
Jody- We are still thoroughly enjoying your care-package! thanks again!

Jeff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get Your Own! | View Slideshow